Monday, October 22, 2007

Now you see him, Now you don’t

Friday we had a new arrival, a five year old boy. It was a crazy weekend with a very busy five year old. Saturday I started to panic and felt we had made a mistake by taking another child. C. and I keep saying no more and then we waver. We were thinking of a little one again and when they called for this little boy, I just said yes. Interestingly enough, we had gotten a call about a year ago for him when he went into foster care the first time. If you don’t answer or call back, they just call the next family in line until someone says yes. We had missed the call. Anyway, I feel like we should be spending quality time together rather than going through the ups and downs of foster care. We are getting ready for the baby and are trying to get her room ready. It is so hard to adjust and I was worried about bringing him to work with me. Our other foster son started going to school where I teach this year. It has been great but each child is different and I worry about it not working out. By Sunday, I had resigned myself to accepting the situation and enjoying the time with this unique little person. C. is very logical and never frets like I do. He was never concerned about the situation. Today, I brought him to school and enrolled him in a new class. By this afternoon, we had heard from the social worker that he was going to live with a relative. In the end, the social workers never really know what is going to happen. They thought he would be sticking around for awhile, but the judge decided otherwise. I think it was a good choice. He would have just gotten settled here and then they would have had to move him all over again. The quicker they can be placed permanently the better. Of course, now I feel his absence and it is a bit sad. Our son was pretty bummed out. He gets attached easily and I think it makes him think of his own situation. He wonders why he hasn’t gotten to go home yet. The end result of this whole thing is that we need to stop taking new children. I’m not sure if that means forever or until our daughter is older. We will just have to wait and see.

1 comment:

Renee said...

Hey Dauray!
It was great to meet you guys on Saturday! We hope to see you again soon!
Renee