We have gotten this question a lot and I am always excited to answer it. First of all, I’ve always wanted to adopt and when I was still a child myself I imagined adopting from China. Of course I had seen the specials on the news and wanted to take all those babies home with me. Then I became a teenager and didn’t want to have anything to do with children! When I met C., I told him my plans, knowing full well he wanted biological children. Luckily, he agreed that we should adopt one day. We started fostering because we wanted to provide a safe place for children going through a horrific time in their lives. It has satiated a need in us to help others; god knows it can be a thankless job. Anyway, last year when I had fallen in love with a foster daughter (she has since left) we decided that it was time for a baby. I didn’t get pregnant even though the doctors said everything was fine. This was annoying me and I was venting my frustrations when a friend I work with suggested international adoption (Thank you, Anne). This sparked something in me and I started researching. Once it seemed possible, we really only looked at two countries (Vietnam and Ethiopia). I wasn’t sure until I read a book called There’s No Me Without You, by Melissa Faye Green. It is a biography of sorts about a foster mother in Ethiopia. The history of this country, the need of its orphans, and the culture of the people really inspired me. It also made sense because of where we live. Our child will live in a predominately African American community and be able to connect with other Ethiopian people because of the large population in Atlanta. Ethiopia is also a place I would like to spend time in and now that it will be our child’s birth place we plan to support it anyway we can. After learning a great deal in the process of this adoption, I know we are not adopting to rescue a child from an impoverished country, even though it may look like that on the outside. We want a child that will stay and grow with us. I don’t think our child will be lucky that we are adopting her; she is losing everything to be part of our family. We are the lucky ones; we are gaining a daughter and a new culture.
The inspiration:
http://www.thereisnomewithoutyou.com/
Friday, October 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dauray,
It was great meeting you at our GA's group dinner. I'm so excited that our Addison will soon have an Ethiopian born friend in the neighborhood!
Pat
Post a Comment