Monday, May 5, 2008

Day 1 in Ethiopia

Day 1 in Ethiopia (Monday)I'm counting today as day one here in Ethiopia since yesterday was just a late night. Seeing our baby for the first time is beyond words. She is adorable...but it wasn't like she jumped into our arms crying mommy and daddy. I was prepared for that, so it wasn't that big of a deal. She had just eaten and was not feeling well. She was also ready for a nap, so you can imagine how happy she was. Our first meeting was busy, as we taped it and photographed it. We did have a few glorious minutes when she feel asleep and we were all alone with her. It was wonderful finally being together as a family, even if she doesn't realize it yet! She has some medicine she's on and was a bit cranky all day. My husband was a real trooper. We took turns trying to soothe her. So today, in addition to gaining a child, we switched rooms at the New Flower, went to lunch with the Gladney reps, stopped by the Hilton, and went to Dreamland. I think we are all on a little bit of sensory overload! Luckily, they had a larger room with private bath available at the New Flower. It is awesome here. The people are fabulous. However, since we flooded the shared bathroom yesterday and couldn't move around our own stuff in the room, it made all the difference to move rooms. Dreamland was also really neat. It usually happens at the end of your stay, but there were many families here so we went tonight. It is a restaurant overlooking a huge crater lake.Good food and company! Tomorrow we are taking the baby to the doctors. She has what looks like a skin fungal infection on her face. It should be OK, I hope. I haven't figured out how to post pics, but will have C. look at it tomorrow.

6 comments:

coffeemom said...

oh boy! LOVE reading this. Love following along. Enjoy this rare and wonderful time! Keep posting as we are following along from half a world away and cheering for you all.

Keva said...

Yea! I am so thrilled you are finally united w/ your daughter...excuse me beautiful daughter.

Glad things are going well.

Renee said...

Hi Guys! Yeah! You made it! I'm so excited for you and reading your post makes me miss Addis like crazy! If you're able to take pictures at Kechene can you please take some pictures of Keller and Maryn's friends? Any of the drivers or Belay can point them out to you! I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope your little sweetie is feeling better!
Renee

JoAnn said...

We are so happy for you! We need pictures! Can't wait to meet Sadie!

JoAnn

Our Story said...

Dauray & Chris...So happy that you are there safe with your daughter. We miss you!

JoAnn said...

We need pictures! We're so excited for you!

Lots of Love,
JoAnn