Wednesday, May 28, 2008

More about Ethiopia

I’ve wanted to write a post about all the amazing things about Ethiopia. I just didn’t know where to start. This morning I read a wonderful post that covered just about everything I could think of. Read it here: Notes from Addis. What is even more amazing is that we had the opportunity to meet their son while we were there. He was in Saida’s old bed! As we read about everyone who is leaving or who is currently there, we long to go back. We really left a part of ourselves in Ethiopia. I will say a few things about my favorite things, with pictures of course!

The food. Ethiopian food is addicting and we got started on it long before our trip. As with any cuisine, it is always better when you go to the source of its creation. We also loved that we could eat out for a fraction of the price. We eat out a lot, so we could really get used to that. They also have some fabulous Italian food there. For anyone who doesn’t know, Italy occupied Ethiopia for a time, so I’m assuming this could be a reason for the tasty food.
The coffee. Wow, what can I say! Coffee began here and they have really made the most of it. The coffee ceremony was great to watch and from what we learned it is a tradition that truly brings all the different people of Ethiopia together. Once again, the price of this liquid gold is astonishing (Cappuccino = $1). Starbucks is not present, thank goodness!

The people. We were humbled by the kindness and generosity of the people there. First of all, there are more than 70 different ethnic groups in Ethiopia and they live together in peace (for the most part). Everyone we met left an impression and we felt sadness for our daughter, because she won’t get the opportunity to be surrounded by these people. Ethiopians LOVE children and they are highly valued. Strangers come up and hold your child. An Ethiopian man on the plane (while we waited for the bathroom), cooed and made faces at the baby for over ten minutes. He even held her for awhile. Then he let me go ahead of him in line! Trust me when I say, we noticed a difference when we got back.
This last picture is of our driver, Anbes. He was our favorite person there! He shared his knowledge of Ethiopia and was so helpful to us. Our trip wouldn't have been what it was without him.

5 comments:

coffeemom said...

great post! Great pics!! We too just loved it there and the people, the food the coffee, everything. What a trip! thanks for putting this up. This is a trip that will stay with a person for a lifetime I thinK!

graceling said...

You make me long to be in Ethiopia!

Jan and Randy said...

Hey. I'd love it if you could meet us for lunch on Sat at Meskerem at 11. Doesn't really look like any of the group can make it. We're just meeting some friends (not in the 'adoption world', *gasp* OK, only 1 of the 3 couples is even in the *kid* world). We'll show off our pictures of our little guy! I'd also love to pick your brain on what to do/see/take while in ET. My husband is going alone so we're trying to consolidate. We're with Gladney too.

If not, we'll see what day everyone chooses for the YR Game Ranch and hopefully catch you there!

Jan

lcm0709 said...

Thanks for writing this. You brought me there with you for the time it took to read and enjoy your photos and experiences. I hope to see you guys soon so we can meet your newest addition.

www.nosmallfeat.typepad.com

huntington said...

The Lion Rocks!